Building Permit Department
NEWS!!!! We are now accepting permit inspection requests via e-mail. send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your permit number, address, inspection type, and request date. If your date can be accomodated we will email you confirmation back. If not, we will call you with available dates.
We are now closed between 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m.
Effective January 1, 2006, all home improvement contractors must be registered with the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs. They will have to produce a registration card from the State before any permits can be issued. This is, of course, a benefit to the homeowners. For more information call Consumer Affairs at: 1-888-656-6225
Effective February 5, 2010, all unregulated underground storage tank removals must be performed by a NJDEP UST licensed contractor. A copy of the contractors license is required with each application. This requirement applies to all residential removals as well.
The Building Division is staffed with two inspectors and one Sub-code official. Electric division has one inspector and one Subcode Official, Plumbing division has one inspector and one Subcode official, and Fire division has one Subcode Official. Approved "Field Copy" plans must be on site for inspection. Under NJ law you are required to have certain inspections performed. Failure to request these inspections can result in a penalty of up to $2000.00/ NJAC 5:23-2.
All construction usually requires all or some of the following inspections:
1. Footing (prior to concrete pour)
2. Iron inspection (prior to pouring concrete)
3. As built foundation survey
4. Foundation (post pouring)
5. Slab (prior to pouring concrete)
7. Open deck (add a level or low decks)
8. Framing (rough plumbing, electric and fire must pass prior)
10. Above ceiling
11. Final (before occupancy)
12. Final Survey (new homes)
View the Plumbing code for NJ
View the Fuel Gas code for NJ
1. Sewer Tap - (at the main- private only)
2. Sewer and/or water (prior to backfill)
3. Gas pipe air test
4. Underground (prior to covering any pipe, including water test, 200 lb 2hrs)
5. Rough (prior to covering, including water test)
6. Above ceiling
7. Storm Drains (commercial only)
8. Final (prior to using)
The Electric division is staffed with One Subcode Official and One Inspector on a full time basis. They are available for questions during office hours.
The Electric code can only be view after purchase from NFPA website: http://www.nfpa.org/
1. Underground (prior to covering any wire or conduit)
2. Pre-rough before rough elec. (All heating, cooling duct work complete)
3. Rough wiring (prior to covering in walls & ceiling)
4. Above ceiling
5. Service & meter installations (requires DR #)
6. Final (prior to using)
The Fire Division is staffed with One Subcode Official and one inspector on a full time basis. They are available for questions during business hours. The building code listed above lists the requirements for the Fire Subcode in NJ.
View the mechanical code for NJ
1. Underground (prior to covering sprinkler pipe)
2. Dry pipe trip test
3. 200 lb hydrostatic test (above and below ground for 2 hrs)
4. Full fire alarm test
5. Wet dump test for commercial kitchen (ansul)
8. Above ceiling (prior to placing tiles)
9. Final (prior to using)
To request an inspection or have questions answered regarding which of the above inspections are required in your project, call the Division of Code Enforcement at 732-721-5600 ext 2420.
Listing files in 'Building Department'