EPA PUBLIC NOTICE
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Reviews
Cleanup at Global Sanitary Landfill Superfund Site
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is conducting its second five-year review of the Global Sanitary Landfill Superfund site, located in Old Bridge Township, New Jersey. This review seeks to confirm that the selected cleanup is protective of human health and the environment.
The selected remedy consists of the following:
- Stabilizing and capping the landfill.
- Constructing leachate collection systems and deep gas wells and vents.
- Repairing wetlands that were damaged by leachate and building additional wetlands off-site.
- Long-term groundwater monitoring.
- Institutional controls in the form of a classification exemption area, deed notices, and access agreements.
All components of the remedy have been implemented. Monitoring results show stable or improving groundwater conditions beneath the site since the last five-year review. A summary of these activities and evaluation of the long-term protectiveness of the remedy will be included in the upcoming five-year review report. The five-year review report is scheduled to be completed February 2020.
FULL PUBLIC NOTICE