Heating Safety

Stay warm and safe this winter

As the winter cold sets in, the Old Bridge Building Department urges residents to use portable heating devices, fireplaces and wood stoves safely.

With the high cost of fuel, many people may be purchasing and adding a fireplace or wood-burning stove to their home. When not used or installed properly, these appliances can present serious safety hazards.

If you’re in the market for a fireplace or wood-burning stove, contact the Old Bridge Building Department first to determine if you need a permit before installation and inspection by a trained professional.

We recommend you purchase a fireplace or wood-burning stove that is labeled by an approved testing and inspection agency. Work with your builder to find the best interior location. That decision will be based on the chimney’s path.

Once installed, inspected and approved, the homeowner and builder/installer needs to read the instruction manual carefully to understand how the fireplace or wood-burning stove works and needs to be installed. Old Bridge Township Building Department also suggests contacting your insurance agent. Most insurance companies require a rider to the homeowners’ policy and a copy of the final inspection report.